Thursday, August 18, 2011

Altered Trunk!! Shake the can till the ball stops making noise.

Here is my first altered anything and I'm really excited!! We had this old trunk at my parents house for what seemed like 100 years and we finally brought it  over to the house. It first looked like this...
YIKES!!
The first thing I did was try to get all the gunk off the blue. It was covered in dirt and old papers so I took my husbands air compressor and cleaned off all the lose stuff in and out. Then I sprayed the think parts with cleaner and let it sit for a while. After that I took the water hose to it. I didn't want to spray it too much because I didn't want the trunk to warp so I scrubbed and scrubbed and in the South Texas 103 degree heat that was the hardest part of all!!
After the cleaning process I spray painted all the metal fixtures with Rust-oleum paint in Metallic Black. See that nasty rusty bit under the can. The whole trunk was like that. This spray paint stops future rusting plus it has this really lovely shimmer to it. My intention was to paint the metal black and the blue bits a grey that we got for M&M's bedroom. 
This is what happened....
yikes again!!! Also sorry for the terrible picture. It was nighttime (after M&M went to sleep).
I didn't like the grey at ALL!!! I think its because its really really cheap paint. I think if it had been better paint or I had the right size brushes. 
So, after that I decided to just spray paint the whole thing! Which, if you plan on this, make sure the can doesn't run out. If it does, make sure you paint all that you can see first. Here is the final product. 
Next we will be adding shelves inside, covering them with fabric or contact paper, and turning it into a corner bedroom Entertainment center. When its up on the side and open a little bit, it's just the right height to be able to see the tv in our bedroom and takes up a LOT less room than a real entertainment center. 

Thanks for watching!





No comments:

Post a Comment